Tuesday 16 February 2016

Getting my Fishing Fitness back!

Three times in one week I've thought 'I used to be able to do this', so its time to be able to do it again! 

Suffering the consequences of my year off fitness training!

For those who didn't know me before this blog, or our amazing 8 month fishing adventure, I used to be a Personal Trainer/Boot Camp instructor.  I say 'used to be' because I'm not feel very PT like at the moment.  After a year off exercise, and 8 months of sitting on the beach doing next to nothing, like really NOTHING!! I've lost all my hard earned muscle and fitness.  And it showed during the weekend of fishing!!

Black Thing before the wind picked up

First wake up call / slap in the face, was when we took Black Thing out on a slightly choppy day.  Last year I wouldn't have hesitated before jumping up the front of the boat, hanging on only to the bow rope, as we smashed through white cap waves to chase a school of fish.  This weekend my legs couldn't hold me!!  I got a bit of a shock when I had to race to the back of the boat in fear of falling over board!

Wake up call number 2 happened when I was playing my Queenfish on 10 pound line, my arms were shaking from excitement straight away, but unsure of how long the fight was going to take I wasn't confident in being able to hold the rod that long.  Fight took almost 5 mins, and of course I did hold on without even a thought of giving up, but I was surprised at how much my arms and shoulders ached afterwards!

Then number 3, the icing on the cake, Sunday out in Little Thing, our tinny, the wind picked up just as we were heading back.  Ten minutes of bouncing out of my seat as we broke through the choppy waves sent my unfit legs to jelly.  Last year I would have been standing up Rodeo Riding those waves!!

Lucky the Trevalley we were catching on Sunday didn't give me too much of a workout,
 but even these little fellas are great fun on 10 pound line!

I've been prolonging the holiday feel for as long as I can, but now it's time to get fit again.  Time to get fishing fit!!!  Bringing on the regular workouts to strengthen legs, core and arms again.  Neither the wind nor any fish is going to get the better of me!!!

I'm off now for an intense interval workout of leg work and skipping!  If anyone is interested in how I go with that, you can check out my FaceBook group: Our Positive Lives.




No comments:

Post a Comment