Saturday 10 October 2015

Fishing 101: Our 5 top fish each

My 101 blog!!!
Our Five Favourite Fish:
Team Positive Fishing: Karen & Johnno
  Six Months of fishing Manari Road, we have caught many fish!  Here are our favourite five each:

Johnno:

1) Permit!  Of course!  Our ONLY plan when we left Derby on this extended fishing holiday was to make sure Johnno caught a Permit on Fly before we left Willie Creek.  

2) Tarpon on fly are now Johnno's favourite fish to catch. He has caught a lot of them over the last 3 months, since learning where and when to fish for them.  First at the mouth of Barra Creek, then Manari, and now here at Quondong Point!
Check out some of the Tarpon clips we have on YouTube: Tarpon on Fly Tarpon Tide Tarpon I am currently making another Quondong Point Tarpon clip.
I love that he is talking of oversea trips to catch bigger one, Cuba or Florida!  Yah bring it on!!!
1 of 3 Tarpon caught today at Quondong Point.
3) Queen Fish on 8wt!  Big Fish, light weight rod = Hard Work!!  I brought Johnno an 8wt rod and new fly reel for his Birthday in August.  This is the first big fish he caught on it, very happy day!!


4) Mangrove Jack:  Took him 6 months, but finally Johnno caught one on Fly (Yes he has caught them before on fly, but this was his first for this holiday).  Quondong Point, Incoming Neap tide.
Hard hitting, mean fighting Mangrove Jack!

5) Salmon:  Johnno has caught many salmon over our last 6 month fishing holiday, but his favourite was this bigger one caught on his new 8wt fly rod!
Salmon on 8wt = hard work!

Karen:
1) Mangrove Jack on Popper!  MJ's are mean hard fighting fish, hitting the lure hard and running hell fast back to the rocks.  No wonder they are on both our top five lists!  I've caught two on Popper and couldn't tell you one was better then the other.  Both times they hit so hard and fast, taking me by such surprise, then the excitement once I seen the pink colour, the urgency to get it to the bank before I loose it.  Super cool, adrenaline rushing stuff!!  I'm hooked!  I've been hunting for my 3rd hook up since!

2) Bluebone on rod! Johnno has caught A LOT of Bluebone over the years, plenty on this trip.  They didn't make his top 5 list because he loves fly fishing, but usual catches them on hand line for our dinner.  I've caught plenty of smaller bluebone before, but was super proud of myself when I caught this beauty, (as big as Johnno normal catches) on rod and reel!

3) Barramundi My one and only Barramundi for this trip (Johnno has caught heaps on fly) makes my top 5 list, not only because I was so glad to finally hook one, but because it was on Popper in an unexpected spot, it hit hard and jumped, quickly waking me from my peaceful walk down the beach!
65cm Barramundi on Popper at mouth of Barred Creek WA
4) Shavel Nose Ray aka: The Beast!  The 20 minute long tug-of-war fight up and down the beach wore me and it out.  Luckily Johnno was there at the end, to help me land it in the waves, and then safely swim it back out once recovered.
The Beautiful fish, named The Beast for the intense fight it put up!
5) Little Trevalley!  We have caught MILLIONS of the baby bulldozers over the last 6 months!  They make my top five list not for their size to fight ratio.  Even though I have said a few times on this trip, enough Little Gt's, take me somewhere I can catch something else, I was ever thankful to have them to play with while Johnno has been chasing Permit and Tarpon on fly!!
....Little Queenies don't make my list even though they are fun, they are spikey little buggers and i've had more than a few sore fingers from them!!  Little Mackerel however are always a fun bi-catch when fishing for little Trevalley!!


If you want to see the rest of our fishing fun while on this trip be sure to check out Positive Fishing on YouTube and FaceBook!

No comments:

Post a Comment