Tuesday 30 January 2018

Goal Changer!

Meniscus tear will not slow me down!

I can not remember the last time I was in a hospital for my own care.

I remember watch a movie with my mum as a young kid.  Not sure who the women was, but I think she must have been some kind of athlete.  She got injured, could not work any more, confined to a wheel chair.  Instead of sitting around feeling sorry for herself, she started an Upper Body exercise routine resulting in an amazing strong fit body and mind, and went on to be a motivation speaker at schools.

I remember mums words when I said 'If I am ever in an accident, I'm going to be just like her'!
Mum said, you don't find motivation after an accident, you have to have it already before.
 
When I was sitting around feeling sorry for myself after my Meniscus Tear, (that means no running for me for a long while), I knew it was up to me to change my thoughts!
Stop feeling sorry for myself, pick myself up, set new goals, get on with life just differently.

I was shocked when the doctor said I had to go home on crutches!

In my 2018 goals I wrote I wanted to run 8km 8 times this year.  I guess that is how this all started, pushing myself too much too soon.
In my next blog I wrote about how it is ok to change your goals.  Life and idea's change, and your goals should change to match them.
In my last blog I wrote about 2018 being a year of LEARNING.
Well it's all come together now hasn't it just!

In one second my year goals have changed again, and I am learning a whole new set of life skills.

I will not be pushing myself to run at all, 8x8km will have to wait.
But that doesn't mean I am just dropping my fitness goal.  Nope, just changing it!
Today I wrote myself a knee rehab program, to do while I work on my new 'Bring Back the Big Gun's' goal!  Along with swimming and cycling, both of which are GOOD for meniscus recovery, I will focus on strong arms and shoulder!

A few days with my feet up gave me plenty of time to reflect on what happened and why,
as well as where to go to from here...next steps.
I'm not sure if it was denial, or just lack of knowledge, but the day after my injury I thought I would be up and running the next week.
Six days later reality is starting to sink in.  If I want to be running when I'm 50 (I do want to be running when I'm 50), I have to slow down for a few months now.  As hard as it was at first to even think about slowing down, just when I have found my long lost motivation, I am now excepting this fact.  Not that I plan on slowing down, just changing direction: full steam ahead with rehab and new goals!

Thankfully a have a great bunch of ladies at Boot Camp at the moment. For one: they were able to carry me off the Oval when I couldn't put any pressure on my knee.  Their show of physical strength and team work blow my mind!!! Awesome stuff!  And two: they are prepared to work with me over my rehab days.  I have a whistle and can shout loud, so there will be no excuse's for them to slow down.  However as most of them also have trouble with their knees they are interested in doing my modified options when needed.

Only one tiny part of my body is injured.

Summary: I am going to use this experience to reinforce my love of my awesome strong body and MIND!


I started an Upper Body workout routine today!

On a positive note: time with my feet up has given me time to read, which was another of my 2018 goals.  AND my first Home Brew has been bottled! Tasting will have to wait for another 3+ weeks, but i'm sure I will be writing a blog about that soon...unless it's shit, you will know if you never hear about it that it was shit. 😛

Luckily you don't need strong knee's to fish from the tinny!
Fish number 42 for 2018: 44cm Mangrove Jack caught on Popper.
42/800!

No comments:

Post a Comment