Sunday 6 September 2015

Biggest Barra in the world sighting!

Johnno's birthday celebrations never stopped at our camp.  Luckily the tides were so big last week it was really hard to fish.  We spent our days sitting around watching the tide come in, going for a swim, taking come photos, then watching it go out again, and our evenings drinking beer or bourbon!

10m tidal movement at Barred creek last week.


We were pleased we actually took Simo fishing this weekend; she has camped with us a few times now, this was the first time we had a serious fish...next time we might actually catch something!!
The fast moving tidal water made it hard fishing on our morning walk down the beach, BUT...We did see a 1.5m Barramundi!!!  YES I said a metre and a half Barra!!!  I know some of you will call 'fishy tail' as soon as you read this, and so be it, even Johnno is saying 1.2, but he didn't get as close to it as I did TWICE!!!  First time on the beach, totally flustered I couldn't make a good cast at it, but she was floating pretty fast in the current anyway...can't imagine I would have landed her even if she was feeding!
Excited from the sighting, we headed up the creek to see if we could find her....what's the chance's of that really??  But it was a great excuse to sit by the river, taking in the amazing colours while downing cold beer!
Johnno caught us some live bait.  It wasn't long before I got what I would call a Barra bite, one pull stop, then slowly pulling away.  Johnno was calling it a metre Barra bite before I even stuck, he's cheeky like that!  I closed off the drag, tightened the line, and pulled hard....nothing!!!  Dam it, the fish had still been moving when I struck, obviously pulling it out of her mouth!  
Not long after that a car pulled into our little fishing bay, Johnno and Simo went over to talk to them, while I kept a eye on the lines.  Right at that moment, the biggest Barra in the world, YES I'm sure it was the same one as we had seen out the front of the creek, swam along the ledge we were fishing, slowly, right under our lines!!!  I called hysterically to the others, but by the time they got back to the bank, the big girl had sunk into the deeper water and was heading out of the creek.

Check out the amazing colours!!
As the tidal water drained out of the creek again, and we started running out of beers in the car eski, we headed back to camp to contemplate how to catch the beauty of the creek system.  I'm pretty sure we talked about her all night!!

Johnno lending a hand...not much of!
It's your birthday Johnno, stand back and drink beer while we do the work! 



No comments:

Post a Comment