Thursday 28 April 2016

I swam with a Whale Shark!

If I knew I was going to loose my GoPro, would I have still swum with the Whale Shark?

This is the million dollar question!!!  In the end, even though I have such mixed emotions about the happenings that day, I'm sure I'd still jump in when I spotted the Whale Shark swimming towards our boat!  But it's easy to say that now...after all if I knew I was going to loose it, I would have 1, not warn it, or 2, held it in my hand instead of on my head!!

Up Close with the Biggest Fish in the sea!


The first time we took Black Thing to the West Side of Exmouth was a great adventure!!   We have been weary of taking our boat around to the West Side of Exmouth, due to the high winds.  This month the winds started dropping and we jumped at the chance.

We spent the morning trolling for Sail fish.  We knew we where in the right area by the amount of other boats and pro's trolling similar grounds.  But alas, as is the way with fishing, we did not see a single Sail.

Trolling the West Side for Sailfish

The spotter plans above and large tour boats in the distance, told us there were Whale Sharks in the area.  Although I was very hopeful, I never thought we would actually see one up close to our own boat!  So it was a great surprise when I looked over the side and seen the instantly recognisable figure of a 'small' Whale Shark.  I squealed with delight as I rushed to the back of the boat to pull all lines in while shouting at Johnno to turn around.  We turned the motor off and just waited, for some kind of sigh where it could have gone.  We got a BIG sign, as in the same large dark, unmistakable shape in the water.

Little Whale Shark next to our boat!

Johnno tried to joke with me as I grabbed my snorkel and jumped over board without a moments hesitation...'But what if it's a Tiger Shark'??  I was mid air and didn't care, I knew it wasn't and was too excited to care if there was one in the same area.
 I was so excited, and the 'little' Whale Shark was so BIG, that it took me a few seconds to notice that my mask had come off when I jumped in the water.  I was swimming along with open eyes, underwater, watching this large shape beside me.  Once I realised and quickly rectified the situation, my eyes just about popped out of my head!!  The water was so clear, and the Whale Shark so close!!  My heart started racing, it was a truely amazing experience!!  I swam next to this beautiful creature for what was most likely only moments, but it felt like time stood still.
I was devastated when I got back to the boat and realised i'd lost my GoPro, I hadn't noticed until i was sitting back on the boat.  But the pictures in my head are as clear as the water was that day!
I will get another GoPro, and I do hope I get to swim with another Whale Shark, but I know that day will be one I talk about until, and when, I'm old and grey....ok just old.

Ningaloo Reef, Exmouth WA



No comments:

Post a Comment