Monday 24 August 2015

Mangrove Jack on Popper; I'm hooked!

Another MJ on Popper!  I’m hooked!
HDR sunset

My 2nd MJ on Popper
We have been here at Price’s Point (James Price Point) for one week today.  Wow that was so fast!

We arrived on big tides and there was fish everywhere.  Salmon and Trevalley all along the beach.  We and the dogs have been eating fish every day.  But then neap tides came along and everything changed; NO fish on the beach!!  So we headed to the rocks.
Armed with smaller poppers on our flick rods, having decided the bigger Halco poppers were scaring more fish than enticing.  We both had blue bone following our lures straight away.  John landed one, but decided it was too small to keep…remembering he is used to catching you-beaut’s at Quondong.  I was kind of glad mine didn’t take my lure, because I’m not sure I would have been able to stop it!  Very next cast, after my Bluebone had been spooked and headed off towards the next set of rocks, I hooked a Mangrove Jack.
My second MJ ever on popper, first one being at Manari Reef earlier in this trip.   I LOVE IT!!!  They are crazy.  It all happens so fast, there is no way of recording it, even if my GoPro had been on (was not either time), it still all happens so fast I’m not sure what would come out on camera.  MJ slammed my lure half way into my retrieval down the rocky ledge.  My first thought was Mangrove Jack, they are such hard and fast hitters, it was a safe beat.  Having lost so many fish, and lures over the last week, I wasn’t game to try and turn my GoPro on, until I had the fish in hand.  But even then, I was standing on oyster rocks (cut my ankle open yesterday, bit nervous of them now), so I had no where to land it.  I had to walk it back over very up and down sharp oyster rocks to get it to one big enough to stand on.  Crazy fun!!!  Loved it!!



I had another win that evening.  A fire burning the last couple of days somewhere up the coast further has resulted in amazing sunsets.  Using this great lighting, I took my Canon 7D for a walk to take photos of the beautiful rocks we are surrounded by here.

I was getting very frustrated at my lack of photo taking ability when Pup stood next to a beautiful Mulla Mulla plant, looking off the cliff as if gazing at the setting sun.  I couldn’t get the shoot I wanted, after all these years playing with my camera, I still don’t know what I’m doing.  I missed the shot.  Pup moved on and I was left contemplating what I should have done.  This is what I came up with: neither photo has been altered at all on my computer, this is how they came off the camera!!  I’m happy!!
Too dark at front of photo, too bright at the top.
HDR Mulla Mulla plant at Sunset

HDR: 3 photos in one! Great lighting on the Mulla Mulla plant, while keeping the true sunset colours.  Very happy with this shot!!



No comments:

Post a Comment