Sunday 23 August 2015

Price’s Point: Day one

I will never again say that I have caught enough little Trevalley, ever again!  I was so happy to catch my first little falla this morning!

After a month of catching the feisty fun fighters at Willie Creek, I had said ‘I’m ready to leave here and catch something else, I’m over catching little Trevors’.  Then after a month of catching next to nothing at Barred Creek, I was like ‘give me a little Trevalley, anything!!!!’

Camp at Price's Point
We slept like babies last night once we had set up camp at Price’s Point, and had a couple of sundowners.  Waking to our tent being shaken by a howling wind that was blowing fine dust like willy willies around the tent.  To escape the noise and the dust we hit the beach, rods in hand of course!  Within minutes I was on to the first fish, a little Trevalley, I was over the moon, you would have thought I’d caught a whooping Coral Trout.  Within half an hour we had landed 2 each.  Then Johnno went and lost his first lure for the day.  We hadn’t brought anything else down from camp to the beach, so headed back for Johnno to re-tie while I filleted the dogs breakfast, they to were over the moon!  They haven’t had fish much lately.

We spotted some passing mullet, so Johnno grabbed his throw net and had them in the bucket before the kettle boiled for coffee!

Use the wind!  I sent a balloon out with a live bait.  Chance’s are high that ballooning a live bait off the rocks is going to result in a shark, actually it’s a given if you leave it out long enough!  But there is always hope that something else like a big Trevor, or Mackerel will sniff it out before Noah gets to it.  This morning it was head for head, intense stuff!!

I saw the brown shape, which I figured was a shark (but hoped could be a cobia), and the large silver, swimming together, heading towards my bait.  They both went down together, so when my line started running I wasn’t sure which had taken the bait.

I got very excited when I finally got my line heading towards the beach and seen silver at the end, WAHOO, a big fish!!!  Johnno told me after he also seen the large silver side when he ran down the beach to see what I had, so it must have still been swimming next to the shark right up till I got it towards the beach.  But a-lass, once I got my line next to the beach the large silver was gone, and I was left with a good sized Black Tip Reef Shark, nice enough, and still good fun to land.



Later that afternoon, as seen on the YouTube clip, we had a close encounter with an estimated 100lb Cod!  It was amazing to watch gliding along in the water without a care in the world.  I’ve never seen anything like it before.
Big Ass Cod that hang around in front of our camp a lot.

Sundowner beers went down well after a wonderful first day!

1st sunset at Price's Point


No comments:

Post a Comment