Sunday 19 July 2015

Come on fish take my bait!


Feeling thankful for this moment in time: Tonights beautiful sunset in front of our camp at Barred Creek
Meditation, I've never done it.  But I used to run, and now I fish, both of which I think might be close to it.  Running clears your head more, due to the rhythmical pattern of your breathing (once you are in the zone), you don't have to think of anything apart from where you are putting your feet, depending on terrain you might not even need to think about that.  Fishing you are more alert, ever hopeful of the 'take'.

Bait fishing off the beach today at Barred Creek
3 months of fishing every day, gives ya plenty of time to clear your head as you walk beautiful beaches.  Lately, due to the lack of fish action, I've taken to bait fishing on the beach, something I haven't done much of since I started fishing.  Crystal clear calm water with miles of visibility, shows me there are no fish around, but I'm still ever hopeful that one will sneak up while I'm writing instead of watching, take my little slice of silver Queenfish tail from the sandy bottom, sending my loosely set drag into a spin.
Such are the things I meditate on while listening to the gentle continuous rhythm of the slow slapping waves.  I look down the beach, there are nine other bait fisherman all meditating on the same thing: Come on fish, take my bait!  Dogs running a muck, making me always aware of where my two not so well behaved ones are, never fully able to blank the mind.  Kids are swimming, mums sunbathing, cars and tents scattered everywhere amongst the dunes, and of course one fly fisherman wading the shallows ;)
It's wonderful to see so many families and friends enjoying this special place, as it is such a special place.  We are lucky to be able to freely enjoy this not so remote but still very untouched beach, and for free.

Younger Karen, fishing Fiordland New-Zealand
I've started in the last few years to realise how much I take for granted and have become truly grateful for the beautiful place's left on earth.  Growing up in the country side of Southland New-Zealand I didn't realise what an amazing place it was.  I craved to be a city girl, go to flash parties, drink at funky cocktail or blues bars.  Now I am thankful for every day that I get to sit on the beach or river side, waiting, contemplating.

So even if I don't catch a fish this afternoon, just like I didn't yesterday, this is still a wonderful day!  A day that I am thankful for,and even though I don't believe in luck (we get what we choose in life), I am still feeling very lucky!

Now come on fish, take my bait!!!!


Later:

No comments:

Post a Comment