Thursday 16 April 2015

My Happy Place

Back at Quondong Point!

View of Beach from our new camp spot = same as it was 18 years ago!

White Bellied Sea Eagle

Ahhhh!  My soul feels at home.  Not sure how else to explain this wonderful, relaxed, lovely/loving feeling that is tingling though my body and mind.

Somewhere around 17-18 years ago, the very first time we pulled up to Quondong Point I got the same feeling, maybe more excited then, more relaxed now.  Excited then due to finding such an amazing beach and fishing spot, with no other people around!  Relaxed tonight because 18 years later, in adzaxery the same camp spot, we are still here alone!!!  I know it’s early in the season, and soon this wide open grass plain we are current camped on, will be filled with caravans…and we will go hide under a tree somewhere, or move further up the coast.  But for now we sit and enjoy, and reminisced about all the wonderful memories this tiny little part of the world holds for us!

The first time we were here, 18+ years ago, was our first time travelling together, still in the infancy stage of our relationship (we had already had a couple of punch ups, so were over the honeymoon stage).  We had driven rather quickly from Perth, up the whole west coast.  Until we go here to Quondong Point, and just STOPPED!  Suddenly there was no hurry any more, we didn’t want to go any further!  We camped here for a month that very first time, and have camped here long term a few times since then.

Quondong Point is my happy place!  After our first travelling trip together all those years ago, we eventually had to return to work.  Working 7am to 5pm in an Optical Lense Factory (I tinted the lens of perceptions sunglasses), I would constantly day-dream about Quondong Point.  It got to the point that I thought more about here than anything else in life.  I knew I wouldn’t be happy anywhere else.  Johnno had just been offered the job that would set him up for life, big money!!  I said ’sorry mate, I’m moving to Broome’.  He gave up all that he had been working towards, the job that would set him up for life in a very short time, and came to Broome with me!!….To wash dishes at Cable Beach Club!! Hahaha, For all those who ever wondered about our relationship = It’s LOVE!!!

Quondong Point is the reason we moved North!


Note the double seater out front of tent: where I spent the rest of the afternoon

Home for the next month or so, over looking beach to the right, fishing rocks to the left.
Leaving Willie Creek this morning, all I was really thinking about was how long it was going to take to pack up the camper trailer, then unpack it all.  We haven’t really got all our ’stuff’ sorted out yet, and we are realising we have too much ’stuff’.  

It took around about (I’m not counting anymore) a good couple of hours, to pack up camp.  Only half an hour to drive here.  Then another 3 hours to put everything back up again.  We certainly are not over night campers!!  I’m glad we brought our swag as well, for when we do ’hit the road’.

Once the camper was up, and all the boxes pulled back out of the trailer, it was swim time!!


Barred Creek and Willie Creek in the distance.

Knowing that we will be here for at least a few weeks, I’m not in any rush to ’organise’ the camp so much.  Way more important were the Sea Eagles flying over us!  Oh how I love Sea Eagles!!  I sat in front of our tent the rest of the afternoon, watching and taking photos.


Note his bloody feet and chest, and full belly, think i missed feeding time!


We went for a short walk down to the rocks to see how Pup would handle them, he was fine, we will just do little walks to start with.  Then a couple of beers at sunset, while taking more Sea Eagle photos.  I cooked Willie Creek Salmon with fresh tomatoes and Jamie Oliver herbs for dinner.  I’m now listening the waves as the tide comes in…and that is all!! Johnno is hardly coughing!!  I say hardly because he was earlier, but may have just nodded off, having said he has finished his book and not started doing anything else.  


Ahhhh.  I’m in my happy place!!

Homeward bound as the sun starts to set
After writing, but before posting to internet, we went for an evening walk along the dark beach.  Introduced Charlie to the night crabs.  Bliss!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment