Tuesday 12 May 2015

10 Salmon Sunset

Now we’re fishing!

Johnno playing 1 of his 10 salmon caught on our 'walk'
I cooked a late lunch of liver, bacon and beans.  It was perfect, just what I needed, but very filling.  So again we found ourselves needing to go for a walk before we fell asleep with our bellies full of food.  Our walks always consist of rod in hand wondering down the beach looking for fish.

We reached one of the best fishing spots, a little sand bar that was covered with the high tide.  Johnno announced he had better at least have a cast, or this will end up just a walk.  I didn’t even get time to cast my line out before he was calling fish on.  Got us both a bit excited when it started taking line, wahoo, a bigger than normal fish at last!  We had just been talking about the need to catch some bigger fish, now that we have been catching so many smaller ones.  After a bit of fighting, with the fish to get it in, and the dogs to keep them out, Johnno pulled in a foul hooked salmon.  It was a nice sized fish, but not as big as expected; when they are hooked in their side instead of their mouth they feel like they are fighting harder.  New rule at camp ‘Foul hooked fish go back’.  I’m sure it got a scratch from Pup as we released it, he is getting so fast at jumping on them now.  We have to be super fast to release them safely unharmed.

Third cast Johnno was on again, I’d only just got my line wet.  We decided to keep this fish lovely 75cm salmon.  I hadn’t even had time to bleed it and Johnno was on again!  Between bleeding fish and filming Johnno catching them, I was starting to realise it was going to be ‘one of those’ fishing adventures!
Willie Creek, Salmon
I’m having a ‘Good Girlfriend’ day today for sure!  This morning I walked back to camp, made coffee and rolls to eat on the beach, so Johnno could fish all morning uninterrupted.  Ten points to me I reckon!!  Then this afternoon I filleted the salmon, so Johnno could keep fishing!  Another ten points to me!!

It stayed just like that, me trying to fillet fish, but getting interrupted to record Johnno catching another one.  At number 8 salmon on the beach Johnno did the righty and asked if he should fillet, if I wanted to fish. By that stage it was getting pretty funny, and I realised we had a cool YouTube clip in the makings, so I told him to keep going till he got to ten fish (does that earn me another few good girlfriend points?  I’m sure it does!!)

Sure enough he was straight into number 9.  He managed to loose number 10 before it got to the beach, which I had to laugh and point out that he did that on purpose so he didn’t have to fillet the fish.  Turns out that number 10 salmon hit the beach within a few more minutes.   All ten caught within an hour.  We were back at camp drinking beer watching the sunset.

YouTube clip here:  10 Salmon sunset

Johnno playing another salmon

Smiles for salmon number ten in less than an hour!



No comments:

Post a Comment