Monday 25 May 2015

John’s Gone: 3 Days Alone!

Beach tonight; Just me and the dogs here!
How quickly things change!  We were in town (Broome) for Pup’s weekly vet check (injections for his leg), when Johnno got the call from our Derby mate.  He’s coming to Willie Creek with his tinny, ‘Do we want to go look for some Sailfish‘?  Well of course!  ‘Do we want to camp on the other side of the creek for 3 days, to help him get his boat in and out’…well no, I don’t want to pack up and move camp just for 3 days.  So Johnno is off ‘proper camping’ for a few nights.  Swagging it, with warm beer…I kept the fridge!!  Take what ever you want or need, but leave me the fridge and enough beer for my time alone.  


John's taken the 4x4, leaving me stranded on the beach alone
‘My time alone’  that’s when it dawned on me; I’ve never been alone for 3 days, like TOTALLY ALONE!!  Who can say they have? John drove off in the car, my only transport, and it was just me and the dogs.  Two quad bikes who had ridden up the creek early, speed past on their way home.  No-one else left on the beach, just ME and the dogs.  Even if you are ‘alone’, there is always other people around, you still go to work, someone is next door, across the paddock, or down the street.  I’ve been alone lots, mostly while camping with johnno.  Haha, we camp remote, just the two of us, a lot.  So you can imagine how we need our alone time!  But a simple walk down the beach, knowing that the other person will be back at camp when you get there, means you are never really alone at all.  Now there is no-one but me at camp, and there will be no one but me at camp for 3 days…these dogs better start communicating!!  Funny that; Due to our disobedient dogs running off after other dogs a lot, I got two dog books out of the library today.  I feel 3 days of dog training/communicating coming on.

I know Johnno has been totally alone before.  When we were care-taking for Kimberley Coastal Camp, and I had to leave early for family/house stuff.  Johnno was left opposite Mitchell Plateau  for almost a month, totally on his own!  The only way back to town (Kunnunarra) was the once weekly mail plane from the MP run way, which was a hell of a mission to get to!  
YouTube clip: Having to leave KCC

  Thinking about that suddenly made me realise I’m not really in the middle of no-where.  I have a phone and internet, and I can see the Coconut-Wells houses down the beach, which I could walk to if needed.  Oh and Johnno is just across the creek, with a tiny, and a phone, so easy access to him as well, if needed.  

But with no-one to talk to for 3 whole days, you can expect a few long blogs coming at ya’s!!!



 Pup & Charlie were very confused when Johnno left without us!
They watched for his return until it was too dark to see outside.


No comments:

Post a Comment